Sunday, January 8, 2012

240.0

i'm baaaaaaaack...

i've been m.i.a. since march! what!?!?! you'd think that, in 10 months time, i would have been able to think up a really good excuse. lengthy illness. extended vacation. alien abduction.

but, nope. i've got nothin'. there is no excuse for my absence other than i'm. freaking. lazy.
we all know how resolutions go. you're gung ho for the first couple months, then you slowly start to fall back into old routines and habits.
so, after a few months, i slowly stopped making time for blog posts. i stopped being so overly concerned with what time i ate. if i was hungry, i ate something...but i didn't concern myself so much with what i was eating. heck, i was even eating when i wasn't hungry.

the closer it got to the holidays, the less i cared about doing the right thing. chocolate? this halloween candy isn't going to eat itself. seconds? of course...it's thanksgiving. ice cream? sure...it's almost christmas. what's worse? i rubbed off on the hubby and he joined me in my gluttony.

when we neared the last week of december, my hubby and i had a chat. we decided that we needed to change what we were doing. and, we needed to do it TOGETHER. thank god! i'm nothing if not an excellent planner. but i'm sucky on the follow-through if i don't feel like anyone's holding me accountable. i'm like an 8 year old kid. if no one sees me do it, it doesn't count. if i can get away with it, i will. yay, me, for being an adult. ^insert sarcasm^

our last week of december was comical. there was a lot of, "you better finish that box of chocolates. you only have 3 more days." a few, "since this is our last hurrah, let's get taco bell." we were ridiculous.

but, when january 1st rolled around, we opened the cabinets, cleared out the sweets. opened the freezer and threw out the ice cream (that one HURT). went to the grocery and bought fruits and veggies. my new snack of choice? pretzels.

my hubby is going cold turkey: no sweets, no fried foods.
but i'm not him, so we had to lay down some ground rules.

1. do not bring sweets into the house.
*remember how i'm an elementary student when it comes to food? if you tell me i CAN'T have it, i want it EVEN MORE. so, if i want ice cream, i must go get it (remember i'm also lazy) and eat it before i get home. this will not happen often. trust me! if i'm already home, it's VERY unlikely i will drag my lazy ass back out of the house.

2. limit food at night
*ok...so, we all get a little hungry a couple hours after dinner. this used to be the time i would grab my ice cream. (do you see a theme? ice cream is my WEAKNESS) the girls are finally in bed, i'm finally sitting down to relax...why not reward myself with a treat? now, my aim is to eat my last meal/snack as close to 9p.m. as possible. some pretzels, veggies...occasionally some fruit (gotta watch that sugar before bed)

3. get active at least once a week
*i know that sounds like nothing. but, i have to set realistic expectations for myself. if i feel like it's something i HAVE to do, i don't want to do it. if i feel like it's a chore, i will protest. they recently completed construction in our neighborhood, and we've been connected to a plat behind us. we are now able to actually walk around the block. i'd like to try this at least once a week. whatever it is, i need to have a period of activity once a week. i'd like this to increase as we progress through the year, but for now, it will be 1 more period of activity per week than i've had in the past.


i think that's good for now. the more i write down, the less i want to do. (geez...perhaps number 4 should be grow up.)

do me a favor, help me out. pop in every once in a while and say hi. check on me. yell at me if i haven't posted. let me know how your journey's going (if you're on this same crazy ride.) we all do better with the support of our friends and family.

5 comments:

  1. I want a partner dang it!! My workout partner and I sadly parted ways this past summer and my own journey continued to disintegrate as time wore on. I went through the holidays with complete disregard for amount on any level (amount of calories, amount of food, amount of carbs, amount of sweets.....amount of pounds - bah). So I'm here and I love that you're on the same track and I'm excited to read / follow your bloG!!

    Best of Luck =)

    The Skinny
    http://holdingaplaceinmyheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Skinny...
    Thanks so much for visiting! I love hearing other people's stories. If you didn't grasp it from my post, I'm like a child when it comes to weight loss. Someone has to stay on top of me because I have a hard time holding myself accountable, so I understand the struggle of losing your workout buddy. I'm also real good at the "if no one sees me eat it, it didn't actually happen", and I'm working to get over that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting this. I went back and read your first post, and had to laugh about your point RE: the actual #. I know people can see my weight issue, but still like we can all pretend it's not there if they don't know the actual number!

    I also noticed you have lost 17 pounds since you started this blog! Hello, that's a LOT! I'm a rebel too whenever I hear I "shouldn't" or "can't" eat something, but my recommendation (as someone still in the trenches and not close to goal yet...so who knows!) is to be kinder to yourself. Don't ever call yourself lazy. You are a mom and a teacher, I don't believe you are lazy.
    At least for me, when I see buying and preparing veggies as a way to be kind to myself, I'm 100% more likely to do it than if it is a "should".
    I'm using MyFitnessPal.com because tracking helps me. I subscribed via feedly.com and look forward to reading more. Here's to 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deirdre...thank you! I appreciate your view of things. helps me put a few more things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete